It’s that time of the year. Only a few more weeks until Black Friday and the start of the holiday shopping season. Coming up with good gift ideas for friends and family isn’t always easy. Well, I’m here to help!
Sol Republic products have a great reputation in our house, so when they sent me a Punk, one of their new wireless speakers, to review as a holiday gift idea, I knew it would be good.
They could’ve called it Puck. It’s about the size of one, and feels durable enough to bat around with a hockey stick.
The little Punk fits in the palm of my hand, measuring in at 3.5 by 3.5 x 1.5 inches. The top and bottom are a hard plastic, while the sides are covered in a tough rubber material that gives the speaker it’s durability. Although, I was just kidding about playing hockey with it.
More importantly, the sound coming out of the Punk is amazing for its price and size.
The volume can be cranked up enough to be heard all over the house. The sound is clear and crisp, but my wife says the bass is lacking for her taste. I’ve been listening to it mostly in my office, at mid-level volume, and I think the bass is fine for such a small speaker.
Other than it’s size and sound, here’s what else I like about the Sol Republic Punk:
1. The bottom panel features a standard 1/4-inch mount for tripods and clamps. I attached the Punk to my Joby Gorillapod (see photo below), and I can just imagine wrapping this on a tree branch while I lounge in a hammock or pull weeds in the yard next spring.
2. Bluetooth pairing was effortless on both my iPhone and laptop. I like it when I don’t have to fiddle with settings to make Bluetooth work.
3. Controls are intuitive. No instruction manuals for me! All the controls are on one side panel. Power, volume, battery check, pause/play, bluetooth. Nice and neat. Hidden away behind a little flap on another side panel are connectors for USB, aux input, and aux output.
4. The Punk just seems cool. This is what kids are going to like. The speaker is stylish, durable, small enough to slip into a coat pocket, and has a great sound. It comes in blue, red, and black.
5. The Punk is waterproof! Not that I’m going to dunk it in the lake, but I will enjoy bringing this on a hike or campout and not having to worry about getting it wet.
6. Battery life: About 8 hours on a single charge.
7. The Punk sells for $69.99, and you can find it at Best Buy, ready to ship for the holidays. Seriously, just put this at the top of your shopping list for any music lovers in your life, young or old. I promise they’re going to love it.
Okay, now that I’ve sold you on the Sol Republic Punk as an awesome low-price big-sound wireless speaker, it’s time to give one away. Yes, the good folks at Sol Republic want one of my readers to win a Punk!
You have three chances to enter my giveaway:
1. Leave a comment here on the blog. Tell me your favorite part of the winter holidays.
2. Visit the Idaho Dad Facebook page. Click “Like” on the Punk Giveaway post and at least one other post. Don’t forget to like the Idaho Dad page itself if you haven’t already.
3. If you’re on Twitter, copy/paste the following message: Enter to win a @SOLREPUBLIC PUNK Wireless Speaker from Idaho Dad blog http://pkmeco.com/familyblog/2014/11/punk-giveaway/ @NorthIdahoDad
Enter once, twice, or three times if you want. The contest ends in a week. Good luck!