You’d think this would be the easiest list to compile, since all household chores can be viewed as distasteful. Nobody likes chores, but there are definitely some that are worse than others.
Top Ten Worst Household Chores
10. Dusting. I just can’t get excited about dusting. Vacuuming, yes, wiping shelves with a rag, no. Maybe it’s because the vacuum is a power tool and we all know that men love to have machines doing their work for them. Besides, dusting involves rearranging perfectly placed objects and knick-knacks. Anyone with even an ounce of OCD knows how frustrating this can be.
9. Clearing clutter. I’ve learned to dislike this only through daily repetition and the perception that it never gets any better. Will the clutter ever be gone? No, of course it won’t. Clutter abhors a vacuum.
8. Folding laundry. I’m good at cleaning the clothes, but my enthusiasm wanes once it’s out of the dryer. Again with the machines. Laundry, however, is a great excuse to binge-watch something on Netflix. Second only to folding it is putting it all away. You just know the kids are going to dump that neatly folded pile onto the floor of their closet.
7. Cleaning bathtubs and showers. I don’t mind cleaning toilets. It’s immediate and satisfying. Tubs and showers, on the other hand, seem like they should just clean themselves. They get a daily rinsing with soap and hot water when someone use them. Why should I have to do more?
6. Clearing out the refrigerator. Every few weeks, the fridge gets too crowded and I have to sort through the leftovers. There’s nothing good about lifting up the corner of a container of three-week old tuna casserole. Or discovering that a bowl of strawberry Jell-O has been knocked over and the contents are now pooled at the bottom of the fridge behind the veggie drawer. It also pains me to mentally add up all the money wasted on rotten food.
5. Cleaning cat barf. I’m truly thankful that our cats seem to have a preference for barfing only in the basement. It still has to be cleaned up, and I hate doing it, but at least it’s on bare concrete or old pieces of carpet. When they do hit an upstairs carpet or sofa, it’s enough for me to start Googling how much I could get selling them for scientific experiments.
4. Scrubbing pots and pans. I enjoy clearing the kitchen counter, rinsing off dishes, and loading up the dishwasher each night. But when a big pot or pan requires some heavy duty scrubbing, I tend to avoid it for a few days. “Let it soak” is my mantra. Yes, let it soak for a very, very, very long time.
3. Cleaning bathroom sink drains. I’ve purchased fancy swizzle stick things and all different brands of Drano-type goop, but nothing cleans a sink drain as well as your bare fingers. There’s really no other way to tug that moldy mass of hair, toothpaste, soap, spit, and god-knows-what-else out of that hole. It almost feels like you’ve removed a tumor from the sink.
2. Scooping the cat litterbox. The cats have shown up on this list again. Why have them if they’re such a chore? Because they’re extremely cute and lovable and we forgive them their disgustingness. Our cats are BIG, and they eat A LOT. So, naturally, I never look forward to sifting out their litterbox. Seventeen years I’ve been doing it, and it still makes me gag.
And now, the #1 Worst Household Chore:
1. Paying bills. Of all the dirty, disgusting, painful chores I have to perform around this house, sitting down to pay the bills is the only one that gives me a headache and nausea, and generally leaves me in a foul mood for several hours. It’s one of the few chores that is on a deadline and can’t be put off. It’s also not advisable to perform this chore while under the influence. Scrubbing toilets? Sure, have a few glasses of wine first. Paying the mortgage? Better be sober. One of the sure signs of maturity is the ability to pay your bills on time, and in full. But, just like with a lot of other aspects of growing up, nobody said you had to like it. Finally, this is the only chore that can grow exponentially if you fail to perform all the other unpleasant chores around the house. For that, it tops my list.